The North Slope is a completely treeless tundra region which consists of pristine rivers flowing from the rolling northern foothills of the Brooks Range through completely flat tundra with numerous post-glacial lakes before reaching the Arctic Ocean.
Although rather featureless with respect to larger topography, the North Slope contains many "Arctic-only" smaller topographic features resulting from the effects of large ice masses lying just under the surface. All of our North Slope backcountry plans describe these features in detail and can "the arctic landscape to life" on backcountry expeditions.
Our backcountry planners have paddled many rivers on the North Slope as well as worked as biologists both on and off the oil fields of the North Slope (including Prudhoe Bay). We can give you information critical to gaining a better understanding of your surroundings and having the best wilderness experience possible.
The mosquitoes are notoriously bad in northern Alaska at certain times of the year so accurate and detailed advice with respect to expedition timing is critical. In addition, there are no facilities, signs or trails indicating access or boundaries of preserved areas on the north slope so local knowledge of exactly where to plan your expedition is key.
Each Custom Backcountry Plan includes:
- Personal expedition planning to help you choose the optimal destination, seasonal timing and route for your expedition
- Custom 1:63,360 scale USGS topographic quads with complete expedition route & alternates marked (Except digital format plans which include one digital 1:250,000 scale USGS topo)
- Complete wildlife & plant species lists plus geologic & native cultural information specific to your destination
- Detailed descriptions of Alaskan backcountry camping techniques including cooking & sleeping with grizzly bears, emergency communication with bush planes, crossing glacial rivers, avoiding impassable terrain unmarked on maps, navigation in trailless tundra, and much more
All Backcountry Plans are available in digital format
- Complete personal & group gear lists with Alaska-specific information on first aid & safety
Free shipping on most orders; Shipping & refund details at bottom of this page.
|Shipping Details and Refunds:
All digital format plans are emailed in Adobe pdf format. For all paper versions of backcountry plans, we offer free domestic USPS Priority Mail shipping with delivery confirmation. For photos and cards we offer free first class postage. Email or call for Express shipping quotes. All international orders may incur extra shipping costs- please email us your city and country for a shipping quote before all international orders.
We do not offer refunds once processing of an order has begun for photos, greeting cards or paper backcountry plans. We do not offer refunds on digital plans after they have been emailed. Please see our Terms and Conditions for details.